L - Now that I have the obligatory warning out of the way, I have one more recommendation to add to the pile. The Rossi matched pairs are a pretty awesome starting package for youth shooters. You take off one barrel and can switch to the other weapon in under two minutes. Rossi Combination Guns

We got the .22LR - 20 gauge combination for our son when he was eight. It consists of a single-shot 22, which is perfect for teaching new shooters. We got the 20 gauge barrel because Kansas law says that is the minimum for hunting turkeys. Otherwise, most kids would do better with the .410 for the shotgun.

The gun is very small and light. This makes it great for most kids, but it kicks too hard in 20 gauge for small children. One of my buddies got one for his three boys with the deer rifle barrel (.243WIN, I think). He has big, strong sons, and they did not like the kick.

Even better, mine came in a zippered case with a shoulder strap. I just measured - and it is only 22 inches long. We got it cheap when they were on sales at Dick's. (Maybe $159 about seven years ago.) I think I saw some at Cabela's the last time I went through.

Best wishes, and have great fun on your land with the family.