Fishinrod said P.S. There are pictures in the BG threads of a hundred contiguous nests in shallow, open water. How do the LMB not slaughter the BG on the nests? Do they feed until they are gorged and the BG reproduction strategy is to survive only by virtue of superior numbers?

I've been watching fish under water scuba diving for 40+ years. An interesting observation is that fish do not want to get hurt. An injury often means eventual death. So fish are a bit more selective in their feeding than a person might imagine. Given the choice, they will always take the easy meal over a hard or dangerous one. Even sharks or other seemingly aggressive fish don't just attack things willy nilly. When diving in warm clear water I observe fish that are both predators and prey coexisting in relative close proximity to each other. I've watched sharks feeding with Grouper and Snappers feeding right along with them on the same carcass. I've also witnessed a Yellowtail Snapper getting a little too piggy and close to the working end of the shark and disapear too. The predator only strikes when A. their likelihood of getting hurt is minimal, B. when the meal is of adequate value to make it worth their while, and C. where there is opportunity. I've not watched LMB that much under water (actually none while feeding) but if they are anything like salt water fish, they will lay in wait for opportunity rather than chasing every potential meal around wasting energy.

One of the reasons BG spawn in colonies is for protection. I snorkeled in my pond this summer and an 8-9" BG male is a formidable fish guarding its nest. The big males get the prime spots in the middle of the colony and the lesser males the surrounding, more vulnerable spots. So yes, some on the edge probably do get picked off. But a LMB is not likely to go bullying their way in the middle of a bunch of very aggressive BG bulls protecting their nests. Why bother or take the risk when there is food they can ambush for an easier, safer meal?

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine