Welcome to PondBoss. Your pond's description here and in the fly fishing thread you posted sounds like it's going to be a really fulfilling addition to your life!
My pond would be ringed with cattails and hardstem bulrush if I didn't attack portions of the shoreline each year. This is not a monumental task for me as the pond is only 1/4 acre. It gets me out on the banks of my pond, playing in the mud.
I've added a few plant species here and there with mixed results. I chose 3 species of iris as showcase plants. Already the water's edge in most places without the4 cattails/bulrush has a mat of a short rush species that I haven't identified. It stabilizes the bank and needs no mowing.
I bought some sago pondweed and some arrowleaf duck potato from Kester's Nursery 6 years ago. They have not survived the crawfish and grass carp.
Elodea moved in on its own; it's a total pain, choking the pond each summer giving me the task of mechanical removal. Actually, I don't mind dragging weeds, as I get to pull up all sorts of critters tangled in the Elodea-crawfish, sunfish and bass fry, many species of insects. Hopefully next year I'll start to see some grass shrimp.
Good luck, and keep us informed. Thanks in advanced for your posts.