Originally Posted By: L's Pond
Thanks for all the great advice. I like the idea of starting out with the 22LR, not looking to go hunting this season, so I'll revisit that need down the road. My kids (3 boys) are all under 10, so I can envision them taking to hunting as they get older. Sounds like The 22LR, would be a great choice for them to start learning about guns.

I also plan on cutting trails through our woods for hiking and four wheeling so I like the idea of a side arm while out walking the property. Maybe the best thing would be to go to a gun range and try a few out?

Getting to a range where you can try different firearms is a great plan. If you've friends who have firearms they are willing to take you along and allow you to try them that also is a great idea.

With respect to the children, do some research and thinking before you hand the firearm over. Aside from the obvious safety rules for firearms consider what you may want for them down the road and then set your plan(s) in motion now. Such as cycling only one round at a time, at least for the initial outings, so there is only that one round loaded in the chamber and if someone drops the firearm or handles it in an unsafe manner (purposeful or accidental) there is no other round that could cause undesired consequences.

You may also want to instruct them from the outset to count their rounds as they push them downrange, to pick up their spent casings, to keep both eyes open and use both for sighting and visual awareness, and maybe even first aid training that covers what to do if there is an accident involving a firearm.

On the fun side of the flip coin, you can set up a shooting gallery for your boys to plink - cans, toys, stuffed animals, etc.