Tony, I agree.

But the reality is that when the rut is on, whitetail bucks travel great distances. Without a high fence, or a VERY deep pocket, it's impossible to hold the deer on property that you and only you control or manage. So, unless you have the cooperation of people in a mile or more radius of your hunting ground, letting the buck that you'd like to see as a trophy in a few years walk might not be it's ticket to him surviving this hunting season.

I've given up on setting my sights on taking one large particular buck. I tried that a few years ago with a few different bucks only to 1) never see them again or 2) find it dead, shot and not recovered by somebody on an adjoining property.

I've since switched my thoughts to providing the food and cover that deer need, and if one comes by that I'd shoot on the last day of the season, I'll shoot it.

My focus is on putting a few deer in the freezer anyway, so I am not holding out for a trophy. If one walks by, that's great, but I won't specifically hunt for one. Been there, done that and the tag doesn't make for good soup.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).