Being able to closely observe these in a tank setting vs. a pond, I've observed issues that can only be attributed to them not being tightened enough at the factory, or debris that clogs them on the inside which is virtually impossible to remove without taking the membrane diffuser apart. I've become so frustrated I've changed over to stones in many cases with my inside tanks.

The problems I've seen are them blowing just large bubbles after a few months use,(but there is no damage to the rubber membrane), burping a large bubble at a regular interval, or bubbles mainly in one area of the membrane.

Been thinking it over and think the answer is to built a tool to easily take them them apart and put them back together. That way the membrane can be cleaned in an acid solution on both sides.

A vice in itself makes sense but is typically a lesson in futility, and for those of us that have tried it you know what I mean.

Being plastic the square section on the bottom stem just doesn't want to stay put in the vice, and there's just not enough leverage to turn the main body of the membrane diffuser with one's hands. And there's risk of damaging the stem if the vice is clamped down too much.

Been thinking due to the knotches in the Vertex brand, one could put together some threaded pipe with a couple of 90 degree elbows that will fit snugly between a couple of the knotches. Add a long handle for torque. However it may be the connection to the handle may have to be welded as it will probably want to unscrew.

Is it possible to get reverse threaded connection?

Same would go for adding a connection to the stem of the membrane diffuer. It would also have to be reverse threaded and square would be optimum for placement in a vice.

Thoughts?

Perhaps making it too complicated? Perhaps a way to secure the square nut on the stem by placin it in a die, and the device with added torque of the long handle would do the job.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/01/15 10:31 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.