Hi,

Hoping I'm posting in the right place as a new forum member, I'm seeking advice as a relitavely ignorant pond owner.

We had a two acre pond until the floods earlier this month in the Columbia SC area caused our dam to breach in two huge holes at least 10-20ft wide each(dam was approx. 40-50 years old). The entire dam as best I can measure was approximately 350 feet long. We had a drainage pipe close to the dam in the center and an overflow in a corner. We did have trees behind the dam as the entire area behind it is wooded. The water at its deepest looks like it was normally about 7-10 feet deep (to give an idea of the size of the dam).

We are kind of lost as to where to begin to get this rebuilt. I've talked to people who "move dirt" who say it's no problem but I suspect it is more complex than that.....needing to rebuild a proper drainage pipe since the back side of ours is probably buried now.

We don't know if the rebuild effort is worth it without getting rid of the timber behind it as one of those breach holes indeed had an uprooted tree in it (not sure if the tree took out the dam or the water took out the tree).

Forgive my ignorance as I see so many pond experts and enthusiasts on this sight and I'm seeking dialog and direction. I don't think we were entirely neglectful in causing this as we received 20 inches of rain in 72 hours. Our dam and pond were not large enough to be regulated by our state (DHEC).

All advice appreciated.