thanks for sharing esshup,
I can see how prepping soil, putting appropriate rerod, fiber, expansion joints etc is so important.

When I drive Indiana highways (not often) they seem really good shape. In Grand Rapids only the downtown highways are concrete most of the connecting highways are asphalt. Both seem to break down, heave at about the same rate. I think the freeze, thaw and conditions here must be different or something. Maybe your concrete is a better grade smile

I know my drive only has basecoat of asphalt and has held up very well, partly due to compacted drive and sandy soil with good drainage, drive goes up hill with good drainage. The same company, same asphalt on clay would have broke up quite a bit by now.

You get a big patch of clay and water can't go anywhere. I think my brother could have done more with drain tile and soil prep. i don't know if the contractor put enough rerod and fiber in. Can you know if you put in enough? He did do relief cuts but the long axis of the drive doesn't have expansion material.. That would have helped as well.

I don't know if cost is 4:1 concrete to asphalt but it probably is 3:1 at least here. Then you add the extra prep you are talking about (rerod, fiber, expansion, soil compacting, steel forms) I bet we are back to 4:1 or 5:1 cost.