Originally Posted By: Bill D
Bottom line folks, IMHO the system is broken.

Finally something most can probably agree about.

Problem is, it defies a quick easy fix.

Single system/provider/payor? Got that, it's called the VA. Sure you want more of that?

Single payor? Got that, it's called Medicare, hasn't exactly stemmed the tide.

Modest attempt to get most people covered under the third party payor system we have? Got that, Affordable Healthcare Act, not exactly universally beloved, for many valid and some invalid reasons.

Any serious attempt to aggressively cut costs is going to have to involve limiting the amount of healthcare delivered. That's a simple fact that no politician can ever come out and say--it would be political suicide. There is a lot of room for cutting drug costs, physician salaries, perverse incentives, redundant and unnecessary tests and procedures....but the simple fact is that taking good care of people is extremely expensive and resource intensive, there just is no cheap way to do it. With the population aging, and technology advancing, this trend is not going to change direction anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not advocating cutting back on care for anyone, but don't kid yourself about how easy it would be to fix the system we have.

And by the way, contractural write offs cannot be deducted by any small business, whether it be a doctor, dentist, attorney, or anyone else. System is broke, but it ain't THAT broke. There are some tricks that can be used by "Not For Profit" healthcare providers who use accrual basis accounting rather than cash accounting, however. And don't get me started on carried interest.......