Thanks guys. I'm just a small cog in the gearbox. I want to give everybody that had the test food a big thanks from the guys for your input and feedback. Getting the shipping figured out was a HUGE step in the right direction. As you know all too well, if you can't get the food it doesn't matter how good it is.

Setterguy, I can't answer the switching food question, and all I know is that this food is formulated for "sunfish", where RES, CNBG, HBG, BG and PS all fall into that category. I switched from feeding Aquamax 600, and I believe it's the same formulation as Aquamax 500, just a different pellet size. I was told that different fish species have different food requirements from a Recirculating Aquaculture System standpoint, and that Largemouth Bass and Rainbow Trout both need different feeds, as do Bluegills, Tilapia, Catfish, etc.. Do LMB and SMB need different feeds? I don't know the answer but my gut feeling says that the food for SMB/LMB probably will be the same formulation. Do LMB and HSB need different food in a RAS system? I don't know. What about Yellow Perch? Again, I don't know.

For the halibut, I am feeding some 6" HSB this food in a cage. (again, my pond, my test, if I kill them then it's a learning experience and I won't have a client mad at me.) They have been eating it for about 10-12 weeks now, and seem to be doing O.K. I haven't pulled out any fish to check on them, so I have no idea how they are growing, but I'm not seeing an abnormal amount of dead fish either. Is it the best food for them? I have no idea I just wanted to see how they'd do on food that isn't "specifically for them".

I can see the next question coming. "Well then, how do I feed my fish in the pond if I have a lot of different species that I want to feed?" Again, I don't know, but knowing what little I do about the guys formulating the feed, I wouldn't be surprised if they can come up with a specific food taste that might not be palatable to Yellow Perch, but LMB might love it (for instance). At this point in time, I really don't know the answer to that question.

MNfish, I know you have had great success with the feeding response - IIRC you called it fish cocaine with regards to how the GSF ate it.

Catmandoo had RES eating it and the RES weren't pellet trained.

The LMB in my pond wouldn't touch the stuff, but after a week they are eating it just like they did with the AM600, but that's just the pellet trained ones. I believe they didn't eat it right away because of the pellet size/shape. Tony might have something to say about fish preferences in regards to pellet size/shape. wink grin

But remember, the goal for this particular formulation is to grow Bluegills/Sunfish. The guys that are making the food make a LOT of different blends of food for the RAS industry. Some of their specialty food is pricey - IIRC I heard $4/lb tossed around, and that's before any shipping is figured in.

Will there be other feed formulas in the future? I hope so, and I think so. Without saying more than I'm supposed to, the 3 principles behind the food have in excess of 75 years of experience behind them.

When Matt talked to them, they had no idea that fish pellets were being used to feed fish in ponds. The fish pond side of things is all new to them, and they are going into this without a lot of pre-conceived notions, none of this "we've always done it this way and it's worked" type of thing.

For the aquaculture industry, they feed fish, then dissect the fish, examining internal organs, do blood tests on fish, monitor water quality, etc., etc. For aquaculture, they said that it's a waste of food and $$ to have food going to make fat, or have food not get eaten and have water filtration issues. I can see that being applied to ponds as well. I have seen excess food create FA problems in ponds (mine!).

Time will tell. I really wish that this was the beginning of the feeding season rather then the end, but I AM looking forward to the results that people will be seeing this time next year.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).