An already existing BOW has some large advantages: The water is already there (or should be); the dam is already built; you know fairly well what you are getting. The disadvantage is that it can be more difficult to change what already exists than doing it yourself.

That said, I'd look for a few things. First, check the watershed. Will it support the pond through droughts and/or a hot summer?

Second, check the dam. Is it eroded? Are trees growing on it? Do you observe leakage? How is the spillway, is it a bare patch of ground or something that can take a major overflow?

Third, what are the depths? If the BOW has large areas that are shallower than 4 or 5 feet, you can expect major hassles with weeds.

Fourth, is the pond easily visible to the public? Have friends and neighbors been fishing there? If so, you can expect problems if you try to clamp down on trespassing and poaching.

Lots of folks here know far more on this subject than I do, just a few thoughts. I ended up building a pond because I liked the idea of using what I've learned to create something special, but buying an existing BOW is undoubtedly faster and usually cheaper to getting where you want to be.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160