Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Cecil thanks for the link. That's awesome!!

Just curious, but what would a competition quality 2lb bluegill fetch? Seems like there would be a huge jump from that 1.5 lber!

Most likely if I reach that milestone I will either mount it or have it molded to be available to myself and others. I'd ask a couple hundred bucks for it if I sold a 2 lb. bluegill. Had one molder tell me I really screwed up by not molding my "unofficial" state record yellow perch.

I once sold an 8 lb. largemouth to a taxidermist that made molds for $200.00. The fish came from one of two water supply lakes that supplied water to a 200 pond goldfish farm in Martinsville, Indiana. I'm thinking a 2 lb. bluegill is rarer than an 8 lb. bass up here in the north?

Love your hybrids but surprisingly most taxidermists have no interest in them. I see one supplier sells them as regular bluegills when one can tell they are not, by the large mouth size in proportion to the body.

I should mold my own fish as I have lots of interesting specimens, but so far am so busy I'm not sure I want to start another project. And not sure I want to expose myself to fiberglass resin on a regular basis. I was told by one molder that once you get good at it, it becomes addictive.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/03/15 09:39 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.