In my old pond that I refurbished and cleaned out, after the initial refill with water, I decided it could have been bigger. This was not at all an efficient way to do things, but it was more a matter of when I had time available to work on it. I have my own equipment so do my own excavations.

I used a backhoe (tractor-loader-backhoe) and went around the entire circumference of the pond (all except the dam area) to expand the pond size. Not the most efficient way as I was working in water with the backhoe. But I did get it done and it turned out ok. I just piled the dirt around the bank and moved it later when it dried out with the dozer.

I, like you, have lots of clay and there was little concern with the new excavated part leaking.

A much better way would have been to drain the pond down enough so I was working with more dry material. Another much better way would been to have used a trackhoe excavator (but which I do not own). The excavator has a REALLY big advantage of being able to rotate 360 degrees. One problem with the TLB that I used is keeping the tractor out of the way and getting rid of the dirt. With only a 90 degree swing, I had much less area to deposit the dirt than with a trackhoe.

I'm telling you this not because I did anything in a good sort of way. Actually it was kind of a bad way. But it did work and suited the time and equipment I had available. The point being, sometimes things can get done that turn out satisfactory, even if the methods are not perfect. Alternative methods are sometimes all that are available to a person. I worked with what I had and got the job done.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine