Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I'll stand pat with what I said earlier, that being water moving through the dam by any means other than a pipe is bad news. Maybe get with TJ and see what he recommends?

The sinkhole pond.....any chance of draining that sucker permanently, and drying it out?

I don't know his area so this might not apply. He may have natural sinkholes and ours are usually associated with old underground mines so may be different. In our area, any sinkhole that is filled with water generally is associated with some shallow groundwater underneath. Very difficult to drain without digging it out and plugging the source. Government has been doing a bunch of it in the area as funds are available for years and years.

The other thing about draining it, if it is a natural hole and not man made, anything drained that contains water plants without the blessing of several government agencies is an invitation to many thousands of dollars of fines a day if the wrong environmental robo-cop type person sees the disturbance on aerial photo and files a complaint. Draining wetlands is a definite no-no, without permission and usually remediation (creating another wetland to offset the loss of the original). Many examples over the years of landowners draining a low spot to build a house or clear an area and getting in lots of hot water.

Last edited by snrub; 08/19/15 06:14 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine