Thanks for posting that ewest. Have read it a while back but following all the crosses makes my head spin. Need a flow chart to keep track of them all.

I'm only a novice at this, and it is probably only in my minds eye that this exists, but it seems to me the BxRG (Edit: Bluegill male X {RES male x GSF female}female cross if I understand the paper right) three way cross SHOULD make an excellent hybrid sunfish.

Considering though that hybrid sunfish for the most part are thought of distastefully by the majority of fish enthusiasts, and for fish farms raising them for sale a hybrid is a hybrid is a hybrid that only needs to live a long time on a fish route truck, and that few would be willing to pay a commercial fish farm for creating a "premium" hybrid sunfish, the likelihood of commercial stocking BxRG ever being available to stock a pond is nil.

So if a person wants some, he is going to need to raise them himself. And there likely will never be any research type evidence proving of any superiority or inferiority.

I would still like some.

Last edited by snrub; 08/18/15 01:30 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine