Originally Posted By: stickem'
I have a friend of mine that lives up south of Huntsville, TX....when he knocks a couple of big stinky boars down....he calls the State Prison there at Huntsville and brings them in for the kitchen there. I'm not sure how they prepare them for the prisoners, but they butcher them up and serve fresh pork there any way that they can get it. If they know how to knock the smell out of the meat.....my hats off to them. Years ago, back in the mid-80's I was invited to a big cook out at a farm in Iowa, LA (North of Lake Charles). When I walked up, I could smell the musk through the BBQ smoke. I tried a piece out of politeness....never again. It tasted like pork dipped in skunk water. I've knocked some boars down here in east Texas up to 175lbs. with no problems....but I cut the stones out of them as quickly as I can after they hit the ground. Trapped hogs are worse because they are pissed off anyway and have the musk glands engaged. If anyone out there knows of some way to soak the pork to knock the musk out of the meat.......I'm all ears.

Charlie,

My wife bought some "inexpensive" pork at a smaller ethnic grocery store a few years back. I could smell it as soon as she took the plastic off. Definitely an old boar. My cure for the smell was easy.....buried it deep behind the garden!!

Last edited by Bill D.; 08/13/15 09:16 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!