Originally Posted By: sprkplug

If a muskie is the fish of 10,000 casts, then the GSF is the fish of 10 seconds of casting. I'm betting it was a different fish.

That gill raker thing is a complete dilemma to me . Check out the descriptions..."short and thick", and "moderately long" Well that certainly appears highly objective. An actual measurement would be helpful.

Yes, I have seen the physical descriptions ewest has posted a few times. I read through them and they all seem highly subjective to me.

Dummy me, I caught several nice BG between the three GSF/hybrids posted. Did not even think about it till later, all I had to do was look at the gill rakers of the BG to have a direct comparison. Might not have made much difference as both the GSF and BG have similar descriptions for the gill rakers. Now a RES, they are definitely different. I surmise the difference in the short and widely spaced rakers of the RES is to allow the shells of the crunched snails to exit while retaining the meat portion. But that is just my guess. Is'nt that the purpose of the rakers? To let water pass but retain food?

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine