Since learning about Aluminum Sulfate from this forum about a month ago I've been on a mission to use it in my pond to settle the clay particles from the heavy rains we had this Spring. I picked up 500 lbs of Hydrated Lime today and have 1,000 lbs of Aluminum Sulfate ordered that should arrive sometime this week. Based on my calculations I have about 6 acre/feet of water in my pond (.75 acres with an average depth of 8 feet) so I should only need about 300 lbs of the Alum and 150 lbs of the lime. I ordered extra for future use and for a buddy.

I'm a farmer and my plan is to mix the alum and lime in a fertilizer trailer that has a 2" gas powered pump on it. I think if I hook a 3/4" garden hose to the pump and speed it up it will create enough pressure that with the correct spray wand I should be able to spray the slurry 30-40 feet. This is far enough to get it half way across my pond for the most part.

How important is it to spread evenly? Is it ok to mix the alum and lime together? Should I leave my aerator running when I do this to help mix it in the pond? How long will it take to work? I did a jar test with some kitchen alum a few weeks ago and it took overnight but made it crystal clear. Does anyone see any problems with my plan?