I've had very similar floating algae for about a week in my 1/3-acre put-and-take pond. My other down-stream ponds are not affected. I'm assuming it is some kind of blue green algae.

A few days ago I added some dye, which seemed to help a little. I'm hoiping to drain the pond down about 2 feet overnight tonight with my semi-trash pump.

I bought four barley straw bales. In the morning, I've got a helper coming over. We plan to build about a four-foot wide inflow of 6-8 rip-rap, underlaid with landscaping cloth, going into this pond. We will build a rock wall just beyond end of this inflow where its bottom will be several inches below the normal water line. The wall will be covered with silt-cloth on the bottom, inside, and outside of the rock wall. The four barley bales will go on the inside of the wall. I then plan to run the output of the semi-trash pump over the rip-rap, which will move through the bales and the two layers of silt fence.

We'll see if it does any good.

If not, I may have to drain this relatively new pond this winter and re-excavate it. It was originally my setting pond, just a lot smaller, for my other ponds.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!