Originally Posted By: biostudent
Hello,

I am currently taking biology and wanted to share a little information from my text book with you that may help determine what this green foam is. It reads:

"Phytoplankton grow in the photic zone, and rooted plants often inhabit shallow waters near shore. If a lake or pond is deep enough or murky enough, it has an aphotic zone where light levels are too low to support photosynthesis. In the benthic realm, large populations of micro-organisms decompose dead organisms that sink to the bottom. Respiration by microbes removes oxygen from water near the bottom, and in some lakes, benthic areas are unsuitable for any organisms except anaerobic microbes."

"Temperature may also have a profound effect on standing water biomes. During the summer, deep lakes have a distinct upper layer of water that has been warmed by the sun and does not mix well with underlying, cooler water."

"The mineral nutrients nitrogen and phosphorus typically determine the amount of phytoplankton growth in a lake or pond. Many lakes and ponds receive large inputs of nitrogen and phosphorus from sewage and runoff from fertilized lawns and farms. These nutrients may produce a heavy growth ("bloom") of algae, which reduces light penetration. When the algae die and decompose, a pond or lake can suffer severe oxygen depletion, killing fish that are adapted to high-oxygen conditions" (688).

Source: Reece, Jane B., et al. eds. Campbell Biology Concept & Connections. 8th ed. Boston: Pearson, 2015. Print.

I am very curious to know if you have found any answers as to what this foam is exactly. My main reason for being interested in this, is because my local pond I visit has this same frothy foam on top of the pond and I would like to find out what it is during my observation I do today on it. Let me know if you have any updates Bill. I will attach a photo of the local pond I visit. Thanks!

If I didn't know better I would swear I was reading something from Bill! laugh laugh laugh

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!