Originally Posted By: george1
Shorty, me and CMM gonna wash your mouth out with soap....we can cast to three rising fish by the time you fool around winding in your little spin rig...

George, I knew you wouldn't like my comment, but I stand by it. grin

Here is a true story. Years ago one of the Nebraska Fish and Game fisheries biologist came out to fly fish bedding BG at my dad's old pond. He was there for almost two hours trying to catch males off the bed in gin clear water and left without catching a single fish. Five minutes after he left I dug out the spinning rod with a casting bubble with a black ant tied on, I caught nine BG in the next ten casts in the exact spot he had just been fishing just to see if I could.

The thing with a spinning rod and casting bubble is that you can put a fly down in the water 30 to 35 yards away with one flick of the arm, with that in mind it does take a little extra time to reel it back in from that distance. That extra distance in gin clear water can mean the difference between catching or not catching fish.

The rig I have been catching RES on this year is just a modified version of this, instead of a having a fly tied on I have been using a micro jig with a small piece of rubber worm on it. In addition I put a bobber stop above the casting bubble so I can control how far it sinks. It is a great little rig, I caught my biggest SMB (17") out of my pond with it this year.