Nate spotted some huge blow-ups about 100 yards away, and set about trying to put us on the action. He fired up the motor, pushed the throttle and...nothing. The prop had come loose and spun out into 15' of water! Chad climbed into the prow to set up the trolling motor, and...dead battery. My heart sank. I saw my visions of the best day ever slipping away, so close yet slipping through my grasp.

But Nate and Chad unhurriedly picked up paddles from the floor of the boat, and with the help of the prevailing wind, deftly maneuvered us into striper territory. Nate said, "John, go in the live well and pick out a bluegill, the smaller, the better, and freeline it. Cast it out as far as you can, and try to hit the corner of the dock." I found a 3" BG, rigged it, and surprised myself by failing to totally flub the cast and pitched it right at the dock. About five seconds after the bait hit the water, I felt a huge tug. I counted to five, set the hook, and the reel started screaming. Then I started screaming. Especially when I got the fish near the boat and my brother Tyler couldn't seem to get the net in the right place! What a fish, that HSB!

Last edited by Bocomo; 07/04/15 12:50 AM.