I have done a lot of lurking and reading the forums. I just purchased a place in east Texas. 3 acre pond was built 16 years ago by previous owner. Owner claimed to have stocked it with over the years with fingerlings from the share lunker program. Said he had a friend involved with the program and would get him some from time to time. Claims to have caught a 12 pounder out of it a few years ago.
After reading this forum I decided to start culling all bass under 14". Problem is of the 40 or so bass I have caught so far, 85 percent have been in the 14 to 16 inch range with just a few under 14 and a couple 18 inches. I understand I need to start getting relative weights,but don't have a good scale yet. Too my eye the fish look good,with just a couple that looked a little thin. It just seems odd too me that so many are in that 14 to 16 inch range. As for forage, I have caught a few palm sized bluegill and redears, but most of what I see around the shore are smaller 4 inch.
Anyhow my ultimate goal is to have a pond that at least gives me a chance to catch an 8 pounder. Should I start culling these 14 to 16 inchers. Yes I know I need to get relative weights, but does anyone have a gut feel on this.