Big rains help knock down the FA. Other than that, if you're not going to put copper sulfate in, I use a pool skimmer net and manually remove it. I dump it into a garden cart I pull behind my golf cart then go and dump in in my deer plot field.

Manually removing it does the trick but it's time consuming but pretty rewarding too.

Aeration doesn't really remove algae. It can "help" with beneficial bacteria growth that "can" help with the junk at the bottom that's helping cause the blooms, but you really need a lot of constant aeration to make that happen (think water treatment plant type of aeration going on).

I have a 3 acre pond similar to yours. I get a lot of spring runoff from the planted fields surrounding me. I got the Kasco 220v aerator running as early as I could this year and I still got a huge bloom (not as bad as yours though). I used copper sulfate and, with the Kasco, knocked it down in a day.

Aerators help a pond be healthy and they help the fish (if they need help), but they are not a FA removal option (in my opinion).

Last edited by Timinator; 06/30/15 04:25 PM.