Originally Posted By: esshup
How many hunters per guide? Or is it a drop you off and you do a DIY hunt?

What's your distance/accuracy like? Is it within the parameters that they have shot elk in the last year? What was the success rate last year? If you are only comfortable to 30 yds and most of the shots were 40+ then you gotta start practicing.

A buddy was out in Montana for rifle and never got one - the elk changed their migration pattern due to the weather. He was out there for 3+ weeks.........

Once it's down, how does it get out of the woods? It ain't like dragging a deer out..............

Landowner tag or do you have to put in for a draw?

Definitely call their references. Remember that they probably won't give you any numbers to call of people that they know had a poor hunt. If they only have a 50% success rate, I'd ask for numbers of people that didn't harvest an elk too.

Was it because they couldn't make the shot or never had the opportunity to make a shot?

When do the elk typically move through the area, or is it a resident herd that stays on the property?

What's the predator situation look like this year? More or less predation than previous years? (we had Mt. Lions run the elk out of our hunting area one year and nobody even saw an elk).

It's 1 guide per 2 hunters...max of 4 hunters on the property for the week. 100% guided.

I'm 10 ring out to 50 yards in normal conditions.

According to the outfitter it's almost entirely lowland/hill country hunting vs high country...so ATV accessible for most of it re: getting the carcass out.

Resident herd of 150 or so animals.

I'll be following up with him today and asking more questions...

keep em coming guys!

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous