I agree that the fish doesn't display like my BRES do. I also think there's every possibility that a BRES might've backcrossed with a parent to create this particular specimen. Still, I just don't see pure BG there. I think a lot of it has to do with knowing your water, and your fish. YOUR fish. In my opinion, there can be a heck of a lot of variance in how lepomids display, and I just can't wrap my mind around a set of concrete, never-fail visual markers that always ring true where identification is concerned.

For the longest time I was convinced that scale-tipping was indicative of a male BG. We still use that here on the forum all the time. But I have removed too many eggs from fish that featured scale tipping to rely on it as a foolproof means of sexing fish. Do I think it is most likely scale-tipping is found on males? Yes. But I also feel we need further clarification on the matter. Our knowledge base is continually expanding, and from time to time we should revisit the tried and true, apply that new knowledge, and make adjustments to our theories accordingly.

When I look at Theo's fish, I see something else in the mix. Predominantly BG, but something else also. But that's based on seeing thousands of lepomid photos from all across the country, not so much on what Theo has in his pond...and in my opinion, that's what matters most....knowledge of one's fish, and one's water.

I'm about as far removed from expert as it's possible to get. Still trying to learn all I can from everyone I can. I feel like I'm gaining knowledge, but not as quickly as I would like.

Matter-of-fact, when it comes to CNBG's, I have a LOT to learn....those things throw me for a curve! grin

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.