Originally Posted By: gully washer
When looking for property be aware of who is responsible for road maintenance. Often, developers will subdivide large properties into several multi-acreage parcels and build private roads connecting them.

In many cases, after the developer sells all of the lots they will neglect to provide satisfactory road maintenance, or may even renege on their agreement to maintain them at all, leaving it upon the residents to provide the maintenance.

Another consideration: I prefer to have plenty of woods surrounding the home site, not only for privacy, but as a possible shield from stray bullets, as well.

Another great point. From the time I was in my mid-20s to my mid-50s, I was somehow involved in a number of owner's associations. Usually it was as president and road maintenance dude -- because I've always owned a few tractors. What a thankless and PITA job.

Find a property with your own deeded and private access to the closest public road.

Our present farm has a strange outline. The outline looks kind of like a big Gallo wine jug. We own about a 150-foot wide by about a 1000 foot long access from a state maintained road to our main property.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!