Originally Posted By: basslover
Originally Posted By: fish n chips

Ha, to relay a bit of personal experience in regards to this. I don't know how many times we have had a word with kids who are out and about, and eventually crossing onto our property. We go thru the usual story of private property, yada, yada...

Many times, later in the day, we get a call from the sheriff dept saying that so and so called, and the kids told them some outlandish story and the parents want us to be arrested.

I record all encounters now. I walk up on the trespasser(s) with my video camera already going so they know they are being recorded. I introduce myself and offer my hand in a handshake and I ask them their name. I usually have to follow up with asking for last name.

I ask them if they are lost? I know they are most likely NOT lost, but it's a formality.

I ask them if they are aware they are trespassing on private property (again usually oh I didn't know that response), and then I follow that with how did you come to this spot? I want them to say the route they took so that I can reply with how many no trespassing signs they passed on that route.

I ask them if they know that trespassing is a misdemeanor that may involve a fine and will appear on their juvenile record? I tell them I could call the local sheriff, but since they've been respectful and honest (I don't know if they have been, but this is a leading question) I won't call if they state they understand this is private property and that they will not trespass again (remember all of this is videotaped). I then ask them where do they live, and what are their parent's names? I tell them that our property is private because we do a lot of shooting and trapping and we know where our traps are and we know where we're shooting, but a trespasser is unlikely to know and we don't want anyone hurt.

I offer my hand again to shake and tell them I appreciate their understanding and respect and to enjoy the day or weekend.

From experience I can say every trespasser has offered up their names, parent's names, and address. At first they are quiet or "oh s**t", and the video camera gets them a little nervous, but I record for the very reason mentioned above - that kids may go back and tell their parents some b.s. story. In fact I drove to one address to see if the kids were being truthful, they were all outside and I spoke with the father. He said he didn't like his kids being videotaped, but I explained that Sheriff XXXXX told me to record all encounters so there is a true account of what happened. The father then understood why I recorded and said he could see that being important.

That's the same approach I take with kids, minus the video. I like that idea, just don't have that ready to go when needed. Very good idea tho... I like it when we walk back the route they are telling me they come and I tell them to stop and turn around. Right in their face is a sign!! One time this happened to a girl (18-ish) I caught lounging by the pond reading a Kindle. Nice little comfy spot I had made for her. When she turned around and saw the sign, I told her she must be just carrying that Kindle for a fashion accessory because otherwise she could have read the sign.

I have taken to making sure the phone is with me, which can take pictures. This also comes in handy when its motor bikes, etc. They know you aren't going to catch them, but a pic for the sheriff gives them something to go on, and proof when they are finally caught.