Originally Posted By: sparkplug
If your dream parcel is surrounded by 3-5 acre plots, be careful. There's a chance that the folks on those smaller plots have already discovered what I warned you about earlier....their land isn't big enough to have a couple horses, a cow, chickens, umpteen rabbits for the kids, a dog or two, a pond, a Llama(?), a giant garden where they want to grow their own produce, beehives for fresh honey, a shooting range, A four wheeler track and/or trail, and oh yeah, a house. And a garage. And a barn

Wow! That is a very important and major point to consider. I'm on the WV/VA state line. The West Virginia side of my property abuts 17 separate parcels of 1 to 5 acres -- except for one that is a couple of hundred acres. That one doesn't cause any issues. The Virginia side of my property abuts two large properties. They don't cause any issues.

The somewhat humorous/unfortunate part of your statement gets to the horses, dogs, kids, and -- in our case alpacas, not llamas.

Way back when, I believe I've posted here about the blind horse staring in our bedroom window one morning. I think I've posted about the family from the city with their four-wheelers, their four kids with paint guns, and how they colorfully affected a number of our neighbor's horses. I think I've posted about the neighboring dogs killing my chickens. I think I've posted about the city neighbors who proudly bragged to me how their kids bucket stocked my main pond with crappie!

I've grown old, grumpy, and totally intolerant. If someone is on my property, they are intimidated and immediately reported to both the DNR and sheriff's office.

That is how I learned just how bright a 12 gauge shotgun blast is near dark.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!