Another update to the GSF saga. Been feeding them (along with the BG when the BG can beat the GSF to a pellet) and when the feed hits the water you would think a school of Piranhas were in the water instead of sunfish. Those greenies really put on a show at feeding time.

Lots of 5" GSF and also catch about 2 GSF to 1 BG when fishing, so I'm not too unhappy with that catch rate.

Have to be a little careful feeding this pond as there is no aeration (this is my old refurbished 1 acre pond) and I do not want to get the biomass so great there is a fish kill. Besides, don't think I could afford the feed bill if I fed all the feed these GSF would eat. Have never found the point of satiation but instead just feed a couple pounds of feed for the acre of water.

Also catch quite a few 4-6" BH from last years spawn. Still removing the BH and GSF as I catch them, but had a minnow trap in the water for about a week and caught very few small GSF or BH, so took the trap out. I think the half dozen LMB I put in there last year along with the larger GSF are taking care of the smaller fish.

Will probably start returning the best of the best GSF back into the water and try to grow some really nice GSF. If there is such a thing. grin

Last edited by snrub; 06/09/15 09:51 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine