Originally Posted By: vamaz
I built a similar one and floated it with those pool noodles like Catmandoo, but had a couple problems.

First, the noodles floated it so the top was just a couple inches above the water and though it worked well for holding my HBG and BG, the catfish would go over the top every time. I lost several, including my daughter's 5 lb pond record - not very happy with Daddy the next morning. I like the way you have it, Tbar, suspended up outa the water a bit.

Second problem is that by the end of the first summer, the noodles had been exposed to the sun too long and began shedding little pieces that would get all over your hands and could be seen floating in the water.

Thanks for posting those pictures, I hadn't thought of hanging it off the side of the dock.

I do replace the noodles near the beginning of each season. I wait for Wally-World to put their pool supplies and pool toys on sale when I can get them for about dollar a piece.

I too have had an issue with the catfish. They are the only fish that escape, even though I have a top. Half of the top on that cage is just held in place by its own buoyancy. I've held large LMB, HSB, BG, crappie, etc., without any issues.

I've built enough cages to find that there are a number of good plastic fence products of different shapes and colors. All of the ones I've used have come from either Lowes or Home Depot. Some have had square holes, some have had hexagon holes. They have been green, black, or orange. All have worked equally well.

The cable/zip ties are probably the most important. Get good ones that are rated for UV and outdoor use.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!