Originally Posted By: snrub
What about this one Shorty?

Shorty you are a genius when it comes to catching RES. Followed your method in my sediment pond by fishing with a micro jig next to the bank. The fish in the picture caught today was one of four 6-8" RES caught from my main pond last fall and put in this sediment pond (1/10th acre) as breeders. Also stocked in this sediment pond was 175 RES 1-2" fry last fall. Today I caught the fish in the first picture. The second picture shows the bank area I caught it in. The third picture the jig I was using. I've also caught several 4-6" RES from last years fry stocking and have also caught a few 2" RES in a minnow trap that undoubtedly were a late fall spawn from last year from the 4 6-8" res I put in from the main pond.

All the RES caught by hook and line were caught within a foot or two of shore in less than 18" water. I suspect they come up in the shallow to find and feed on snails.

snrub / shorty,
nice RES...I Stocked 200 of them last September, but haven't seen one since. I've caught plenty CNBG on live worms fishing a couple of feet under a cork...just no RES. I figured they were just deeper or elsewhere in the pond, as I predominantly fish near the feeder. May try the micro jig in the shallows.

Last edited by stickem'; 05/29/15 06:38 AM.

...when in doubt...set the hook...