Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Another question.. I imagine tilapia is probably popular and common in private ponds in the south, Texas, assume oklahoma, Florida, Georgia etc? If Texas has had so much high water, flooding etc I can imagine that many ponds are seeing their tilapia overflow into neighboring rivers and lakes.

I assume then the tilapia will then take up residence in nearby lakes and multiply. This is probably happening right? Are some of these nearby lakes seeing tilapia for the first time or do most lakes in the Dallas area already have tilapia in them?

Will they survive and multiply and provide new 'natural' forage for lakes and ponds that never had them before? Will this on balance be a benefit from all the recent flooding for the forage base for the local bass fisheries?

Canyon, there are many Texas lakes with year-round, established populations of Blue Tilapia. With the exception of one lake, there have been no downsides reported that I am aware of. In the one lake, LMB were declining and in the absence of an explanation, a state biologist simply blamed the Blue Tilapia, yet offered nothing in support his claim other than being present.

The allowed mozzies will eventually die out from cold.

Last edited by Rainman; 05/28/15 08:33 AM.