I started the day after I stocked FHM and GSH. Took a quart or less of GFC (figured they aren't piscivores) and threw out a handfull or less at various places all around the pond. I observed their response and they preferred the deep, shaded S side. This was generally evenings on the weekend. Went 5 months standing on a stump just in the water. If I step off the stump, it's 5' deep- steep. Then I put in a TH feeder, thanks to wife and Esshup plotting. It went on the other side of the dam solely due to solar. Fish were happy to go over there for morning/evening feed every day. I adjusted the time over the season based on them cleaning it all up. Cooler water, less feed. They clearly spawned the first summer. More and smaller fish. I had minimal breeding material in new pond. Two bags lasted most of the season before I quit for the winter, using mostly AQ4000.

Now after a year, I put in predators. I feed a mix of AQ4000 and AQ500 via feeder. Doubt a mix is necessary as FHM happily eat 500. I got a bag of AQ400. I only hand-throw because it gets deep fast. I throw it along the edge and a nearby shallow cove. They prefer sinkers. THey prefer I stay out of sight, but will come to the edge at my feet if that's all there is and I'm still. I rarely see the 4" GSH- mostly see ~1-3" fish.

They will eat any time, even high noon. I've been there an hour after feeder went off, and they'll eat more. I don't hydrate; throw it dry. Takes them up to 45 min to clean it up. I consider it cheap therapy.

This is just my observation of my primarily forage fish pond.