Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Well, time is drawing near and we just decided to upgrade our SUV rental. When I started laying things out, cramped would be an understatement in a Chevy Equinox (no Rav4's available). So now it's a Chevy Traverse which has a ton more space!

So, I went to Hertz, took measurements of the cargo space and decided to build a rack out of PVC to accommodate all our,,,, shtuff and to make it somewhat organized and accessible.

I'm bringing pretty much all my tackle and 8 rods/reels for the different types of fishing we'll do. So on the bottom is the tackle, then I'll have a 1/4" sheet of ply on the PVC (the 2 cross pieces still need to be put in) with U brackets on the underside so it can be slid back for access. And our luggage will sit on that.

The rods and reels will be out of the way and easily accessible when we open the back hatch. And I will have grooves where the rods will rest on the front PVC. The tubes for the rods are notched on the underside to help keep them stable.

The frame has 1 1/4" PVC over the 1" PVC in the front, back and sides so I can adjust it width and length wise when I put it in the SUV.

Then we'll still have the back seat, upright or laid down for the camping gear, inflatable kayak, cooler, etc.

On the living room floor it looks like it will work but we'll see what happens when I install it in the SUV!

PS - The tape on the floor was the layout of the Rav4 which was too small. And please forgive the messy living room!

Love it....Tape on the floor! Looks like a well though out project!