Bobby those Tarpon are some magnificent fish.

Had the occasion recently to be diving in Roatan Honduras. A school of about 20 Tarpon had come in from open ocean presumably to rest or feed. There were only four of us on the afternoon dive, two women, myself and the divemaster guide. When the school came up to inspect us the women were noticeably concerned and hung close to the divemaster. I swam out into the school to video them and they being the curious fish they are came directly at me, parting at the last second veering past me only about three feet in front of the camera and cruising within a couple feet of my head. A VERY cool experience. They circled around and made a second pass, then disappeared. Maybe a couple minutes with them total. Most exceeded 5 feet in length and were full adults.

The tarpon tail muscles are so powerful, a few years ago I saw one get spooked for some reason and took off so fast the tail caused the water to cavitate and a bubble maybe an inch or so in diameter resulted where the tail had been and heard a loud "pop" in the water.

VERY cool fish. Viewing them under water they look like they are chrome plated.

Last edited by snrub; 05/26/15 10:48 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine