I don't know why this just came to me..
I was 13 and living on a naval air station at Point Mugu, Californa. A friend and I were riding our bikes along when we saw these twin engine fighter aircraft doing touch and goes. We decided that it would be way cool to lie on the grass at the beginning of the runway and watch as they landed, and it really was, loud, scary and you could see every rivet and streak of dirt. We did notice, but didn't pay a lot of attention to the first plane as it pulled up and then set down, then powered off. It was soemthing to see those twin afterburners kick in as the planes regained altitude. We waited awhile but guessed that we had seen the last plane and we left.I heard from my father later that we just missed the Shore Partol and the exercise was cancelled, that wasn't all I heard but that was the only thing that was germane. I guess that first pilot got quite a surprise going eyeball to eyeball with two kids lying face up at the beginning of his approach.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam