FWIW I see it somewhere in the middle.

IMO given a pond 96" deep and the water table is at 48" the water will be 48" deep. The water coming in from the water table will equal the water leaking out anywhere. There will be flow to some extent. Now if I have a heavy rainfall and water flows into the pond from the watershed bringing the level up to 80" but the water table only rises to 46" below grade, the pond will leak to both the watertable and anywhere else it can to get to the same level as the watertable.

In the case of my well adding water, the higher I try to keep the pond above the watertable, the higher the leak rate will be. Currently, I believe the pond is being held about 1 foot above the water table. I put in 50K gallons in 24 hours and it leaks down in about 6 days, after shutting off the water, to my starting point so I am leaking/evaporating 50K gallons/7 days or about 5 GPM

If I continue to hold the pond at the current level, that leakage rate will go up if the watertable drops further and down if the watertable rises.

Last edited by Bill D.; 05/20/15 02:13 PM. Reason: Typo

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!