Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: mnfish
If it's a ground water dug out pond and it is too low in times of a lower water table, I would go for more depth.

When you fill it with the pump how long does it take to lose the added water once you shut off the pump?

Thanks for the reply,

I'll answer your question this way, I can run the pump 24 hours or so per week (around 50,000 gallons) and hold level within an approximate 6 inch band that I call normal pool. If I try to raise the normal pool level I want to maintain, the pump would need to run longer (more $$s).

34 gpm going into the pond sound about right? Or is it more and the pond is retaining 34 gpm?

I think you are in uncharted territory. If you accurately measure your surface area, and know the gpm of the water input into the pond, then you can calculate the leakage rate.

For instance, I know (or think) that in my pond, at the current pond water/ground water level, when pumping water into the pond, I leak 18 gpm and retain 7 gpm. I know the pond surface area. I am pumping 25 gpm into the pond. In a 24 hr period the pond should rise "X" amount on the yardstick that is in the pond. It only rises 1/4th of "X" amount, which equals 7 gpm over that pond surface area. So, it has to be leaking approximately 75% of 25 gpm, right?

I don't know if deepening the pond will increase the leakage rate due to more psi on the pond bottom, or increase the rate by more surface area on the pond bottom for water to leak out. OR if the leakage rate will stay the same.

Do some careful measuring before and after and report back. That will be good information to know.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).