But the topper of the morning was this chunk. A big fat channel cat.

Last Autumn I hooked up with the fish. I managed to work it to shore on 6 lb test line, got its head in my net but the water was so shallow that it flopped out when I tried to lift the net. When I attempted to reposition the fish to the net the line broke. And that fat cat swam away. GRRRR! LOL

Fast forward to this morning. The bass action slowed so I rigged up one line for this catfish. Yes this specific one. Using the chilli cheese hot dog I flopped it into the pond, set the rod against a cinder block, and walked back to my other lines. A few minutes later I looked over and noticed the line being peeled off the reel in a hurry! I sprinted over to the rod and set the hook and knew I had a big catfish (there are turtles in this pond, and they enjoy eating cheese dogs as well). But within seconds the line went limp and I reeled in only line. The hook, bait, and cat were in the water. Line broke. I switched reels to a saltwater reel with 15 lb braided line on it, set another cheese dog in the same spot and I kid you not within 10 minutes that line was zinging through the pond and the rod tip bouncing all over the place. I picked up my rod and hesitated, allowing more line to be peeled in hopes that the cat would swallow or bite down and I wouldn't set the hook and rip it from the cat's mouth. But stupid me I hadn't adjusted the drag, so upon setting the hook I had nothing but limp drag and the reel clicking as I was attempting to crank in line but the drag was set poorly and the fish found slack and out with the hook. Strike 2! I adjusted the drag, I put another cheese dog on the line and set it back into the same area. Maybe 5 minutes and BAM the line is going crazy AGAIN! I picked up my rod and let the line run over my finger, feeling it to determine it if was a big 'un. Wait...wait for it ... and then SET! And it was a good set and I knew I had that big fat cat from last Autumn on my line!!! This was a fast catfish and he peeled off quiet a bit of line with the drag set it was a workout for the fish. I reeled in, it peeled out, I reeled in, it peeled out, etc. But after some minutes I noticed I made progress, it was closer and closer to the shore. So when I see it I instantly recognize it as the cat that broke my line last Autumn and I have my net but I'm thinking how am I gonna get this fat boy in it? I figured I had one opportunity to position the net and guide the cat into it. This time I was in deeper water and so I was able to guide the head in and the deep net allowed me to scoop the rest of the cat in and out of the water! I couldn't believe it I finally landed that bait stealer!!! So a little conversation between he and I, a couple of pics, and then a massage back in the pond and the cat was swimming away. My work here is done, I thought. Two LMB over 12 pounds total, and now this big cat - why stay and fish any longer? LOL