Hey everybody, proud newb of the forum and starting my first pond project, but wanted some help on a couple of questions.
I live in Walker County in northwest GA. I have 42 acres that flows to a 2 acre low area. The property is mostly cleared but recieves drainage from probably 100 acres. I plan on putting in a levee at the bottom end by under cutting the top couple of feet of soil to get to a good base then building up from there.
I called NRCS and was told that NW GA doesnt have the best soil for ponds, but there was clay between 2 to 4 feet down according to web soil survey. Survey states soil is not good for pond retention and clay is gravelly loam clay. I can tell you just by looking at the surface there is a lot of chirt. I havent seen any real big rocks, but I have puddles in some low areas on the property that hold water all year long though. I have a D6 coming in a month to start work, just wanted to know if you guys think I can make this work. Also would a D6 be heavy enough to compact the pond or will I need to get a sheeps foot as well. Equipment is expensive so if I can do it with the dozer that would be great.

Thanks much and any added suggestions would be well received.

Last edited by GeorgiaJosh; 04/30/15 02:04 PM.