I don't have a prepper mentality but I was young in the later stages of the depression when friends were putting cardboard in their shoes because of the holes in the soles. I had new soles sewed onto my old shoes. I had older friends that went through hell and ask me if I had ever been really truly hungry. So a collapsed economy, drought in the west bringing a horde of people back to the eastern part of the country, etc. could happen.

So here are my thoughts. I have a nature pond with lots of plants and just a few GC to help to keep the plants somewhat controlled. I have only minnows & used to have bluegill in addition to that but lost them in a drought a few years ago. But for a survivalist the bluegill could be eaten. The minnows bring in lots of wildlife that could be shot for food. Just yesterday I cold have shot a Blue Heron, a Green Heron that are after the minnows, a couple of ducks and a couple of geese that come in for the plants. I could have caught bullfrogs, and a little later in the spring around the pond area I could harvest bird eggs. Also in the pond area I have lots of raspberries, some blackberries and mulberries. And the hated cattails are one of the best food providers in nature. Also in some fence rows are wild apples. All of this is wild and provided without much help from me. So if it ever came down to being a survivalist I am ready to go without trying.

Also you can buy watercress from the grocer and stuff the stems in the shore of your pond and they will root and grow.

Cattails for food. I have made salids from the lower stems of cattail and it is delicious.
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Cattails.html