I'm a prepper, in that I have a plan and the means to carry out that plan should SHTF. Exactly what will cause a SHTF event? Well, the scenarios are nearly endless... some are more likely than others and some are very unlikely.

Some events may only last a week, some a couple weeks to a month. Some could last a month or two. Others 6 months to a year... Worst case scenarios could be a year or more.

Should the power grid go down, and it can happen. (Terrorist attack, cyber attack, EMP both natural or man made) life as we know it will come to a halt... The average person has enough food in their house to last roughly 3-5 days. Restoring the power grid could easily take months... Without access to cash, banking, refrigeration, transportation(trucking), how are you going to get more food? If you planned ahead and do have food, how are you going to protect it from those who didn't plan ahead? Hungry people do desperate things... In my line of work I see how truly helpless the vast majority of Americans have become. Take away smart phones, the internet, electricity and running water for 2 weeks and you'll see America fall apart.

That's just a glimpse... I'm not some over obsessed fruit loop like they show on TV. However, I don't have my head in the sand. I have an "insurance policy" should something silly happen. If you think the government will be there to help in a massive SHTF event, look at how well they performed in the locally isolated Hurricane Katrina disaster...

I don't act like it's eminent but I do act like it's possible because it is. I don't skip hair cuts, I practice personal hygiene and have no clue how to throw a tomahawk. I do have firearms and plenty of ammunition but I'd have that whether I was a "prepper" or not... My family does have a plan and food and other provisions to hold us over for an extended period of time. We have the means to defend it as well. Am I crazy, I think not...

If you want to see a true "prepper" lifestyle, I'll introduce you to one of my father's best friends. He and nearly his whole family lives completely off the grid, produce about 80% of what they use but could easily go to 100% if needed. They utilize some modern conveniences but would be just fine without... I'm not into revolving my whole life around that line of thinking but to each their own. Just like if you don't want to take any special actions to prepare for a possible SHTF event, that's your choice and not for me to judge.