I'm no expert and can not answer your question with any authority. But one of the qualities for pond use of a sheepsfoot roller is that it not only compacts, but kneads and/or mixes the soil as it compacts. The "feet" punch down through mixing different layers of soil together. Where a smooth roller only compacts and leaves any non-uniform layers intact. So if you have some clay and some topsoil or whatever, the sheeps feet arrangement will tent to mix the two together rather than keep them in layers. Having the soils uniformly mixed instead of separated is beneficial.

If a person is using something with a smooth surface for compaction, such as a smooth roller or a filled rubber tired dirt scraper (which is what I used), it is important that any dis-similar soils get mixed via other means. Like a disc harrow or even the dozer operator watching what he is doing and mixing the soils up as he deposits them in the lift.

The other thing with the sheepsfoot is that the point pressure is much greater for a given weight, so if enough passes are made the ultimate compaction can be higher - if enough passes are made. The vibratory compactor should get the compaction in fewer passes though, because of the vibration effect.

I'm talking above my pay grade now, but that is the differences as I see them. The important part is that the soil get mixed if it is non-uniform (layers of top soil with clay) and that it get adequate compaction.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine