Originally Posted By: mnfish
This project has gone outer limits you guys!!! We have been trying to come up with a way to heat our pumps to save on diaphragm life during the winter months. For remote locations as well. -20F makes for brutal conditions for any rubber, especially with high cycle rates.

FWIW -We never tested this last winter but we did prototype one. Simply used a pilot light burner like on any water heater. Put the flame inside of a 3" stack. Ran the stack through the compressor box, out the top. Wrapped the stack with 1/4" woven wire and rocks against the stack. Small intake hole to the outside for make up air. No flame in the compressor box as moisture would be a real problem. Indirect heating of the air. Never did the calculation but I would bet a 20lb LP tank would have lasted the winter.

PTC Heater (PTC Resistor)

Engineered for use in control enclosures to provide heat and reduce/eliminate condensation.

12Vdc models available - Inrush current is high, but trims back after it starts. Eats about 10 watts and kicks out about 185°F convection style - Made in Germany - Pretty Cool! - Inexpensive!

We do a lot of outdoor control systems for various concerns, but we usually use the expensive Hoffman stuff. I like this stuff from Germany.

Silly me blush
Been worrying about derating all the electronics for the altitude. In order to follow NEC (National Electric Code), this compressor needs to be mounted in a NEMA rated enclosure (not something you quickly whip out in your garage, or practice welding on) It needs to bear the certifications for a legal installation, and they are getting tough on solar as well)

Anyway, design pressure for this rig is 15 PSI and we have a compressor that needs to be mounted in a enclosure. 14.7 PSI puts this at sea level with no derate on the electronics, only the compressor intake for the elevation needs to be derated due to the thin air. Kinda see where I am going with this?