Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Snrub,

I am seriously considering adding a sediment pond to each of the two swales bringing water to the main pond. What do you think about the idea of connecting the sediment pond to the main pond by simply building a ditch and filling it with rip rap instead of using an overflow pipe?

What would you do differently it you were going to start over with your project today?

Bill D.

Don't see why the ditch would not work well, although eventually the rock will fill in with sediment.

My use of the pipe was mostly the result of my small differential in pond elevations and a way of slowing down the water entering the main pond during average rain events. During really big rain events most of the water goes over the 12' wide emergency spillway. Had I more elevation or horizontal distance to work with, no doubt things would have been done different. Very important to remember I'm no engineer. Just a farmer with 40+ year experience working with water flow in field terraces and waterways along with a bulldozer and too much time on my hands. Stuff I do is done redneck farmer style, not professionally.

Last edited by snrub; 04/17/15 10:18 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine