When I built my pond here in WV last year I was told I would need a permit for anything over 3/4 of an acre or a dam taller than 25'. I began my project without knowing exactly how big the pond would be. I tried to get an engineer from the DEP to help me but all they did was give me a book on pond building with lots of math involved.

Fast forward to the completion and the DEP show up because a neighbor complained about my lack of silt screens. Pond is now an acre big and dam is right at 25'. The 3 dep agents asked if they could walk around the pond, I told them no they are not welcome and they are trespassing.

After I cooled off for 5 minutes I went back outside and apologized. I told them that when I needed them during my project they were nowhere to be found. All I could get from them was a book ( which I showed them). Now you show up after the fact because someone complained. I said its just BS!

They asked again if they could walk around, I said ok. 10 minutes later they knocked at my door and said we have no problems here and you won't be hearing from us again.

So I guess that being said, the moral to my story is just build it.

Last edited by ToddM; 04/09/15 09:26 AM.