Originally Posted By: Bill D
I will be interested in hearing Catmandoo's input to this discussion.

T Watts,

I prepared a different post, but I want to sleep on it before I post more than what is in this post. I don't want to have to moderate myself or be moderated by my friends.

I'm a long-time member/officer of the West Virginia Aquaculture Association. I've been associated with VA and WV private waters management for a long time.

We are currently experiencing very serious aquaculture-related issues in WV due to somewhat-indiscriminate across-the-board budget cuts, including the elimination our WV Aquaculture Extension Service group and our state legal counsel. They would have been able to advise you and help cut through the bureaucracy. The whole infrastructure was eliminated over about the last 18 months, with the head of the WV Aquaculture Extension office, Dr. Ken Semmens, having been fired as of March 16.

As you have found, the usually very helpful NRCS folks have their hands tied because of the budget cuts. Our DNR folks are in the same situation.

As the vice president of the West Virginia Aquaculture Association, as of March 16, I have no one to go to for help and guidance in the WV government. They are all gone.

I may post more tomorrow morning after I rethink the things I'd previously written.

I wish I had better news.

The one thing I can advise is to contact our Governor, our Agriculture Secretary, your state legislative representatives, and our US Senators and Congress people.

Regards,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!