Originally Posted By: T Watts
HELP Pond Boss Forum! I am considering a purchase of property in Southern WV. The pond site would be an impoundment of about 8 acres. I would be damming a stream/spring that runs from a few hills a couple miles away. It is considered an intermittent stream. No aquatic life in the stream, just ground water and runoff from the watershed. My engineer I hired said that I must get a 404 permit from the corp of engineers and mitigate this stream, He said that would cost me $1,052,000 to get this permit! This seems ridiculous. I talked with Mike Otto yesterday and he said, something doesn't sound right. I talked with Bob Lusk this morning, he said it doesn't sound correct either. Yet, on another call this morning with the engineer and a couple of his experts, they both said the same thing. They basically said that any time you dam up a stream, this applies. My question to them was, then how do all these people around the country build 5-10 acre ponds every day?
This is not a "public stream" that has fish in it, or a navigable river, etc... I'm have no idea where to turn or who to ask next?

1 million, 52 thousand for a permit? Are they nuts?