I'm no expert and am just relaying what experience I gained from my situation in Kansas.

What agencies needed to be involved for permitting amounted mostly to how much watershed was involved. If it is a small stream it likely involves at least a fair sized watershed.

A lot of ponds are built without permits. Some of these can get in a lot of trouble later if you get crosswise with the wrong authorities. But it still gets done, either through ignorance of the law or on purpose.

It makes a difference in Kansas how many acre feet of water the pond will hold and if it is or is not for use for livestock water.

Your local NRCS guy might have very good information about the permitting process and they are often local people.

The problem with asking the agencies directly if they need to get involved, is they usually always say they do even if they don't. Inter agency control tiffs is not an unheard of thing. Starting at the local level with your NRCS agent might (or might not, depending on how competent your agent is) help keep from unnecessary involvement of those that don't really legally need to be involved.

If the EPA or the CORPS need to be involved all I can say is good luck. You will need it along with a lot of money. Property rights should be on the endangered species list.

Last edited by snrub; 04/08/15 11:39 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine